Are your horse’s joints feeling the strain?
A horses joint health is vital to her movement, comfort and ability to perform.
But just like humans, horses joints become weakened with age and they often need a little help to feel their best again.
Keep reading to discover ChucksChoice for the top joint supplement of 2022
In a hurry?
To make it possible for us to do what we love, so you can easily get the items that you love, we may get a small commission if you click one of the affiliate links on our site.
Psst! Click here to read a special message from the Authors
- We love simplifying your shopping experience! It's so much fun for us (and satisfying) that we can’t stop! We love providing you with the best product options to make your choice an easy one! What can we say… we love doing research! Go ahead, call us nerds, geeks, Trekkies (ooh, Trekkie has a nice ring to it) but we’re doing our passion - and that’s good news for you! So we won’t waste your time (or money for that matter) giving you gobs of needless info or lists and lists of products. Nope! we’ll keep it to the most helpful information and simplify it to the top 3-5 best options. After all, we have to stay true to our name… this is ChucksBest - Shopping Made Easy.
How We Choose the Best Horse Joint Supplements
Our team has read through hundreds of reviews and performed hours of research to put together the BEST list of supplements for supporting healthy joint function, so your four legged friend can have a happier and healthier life!
We've narrowed it down so that choosing is as EASY as buying. Everything from quality products that your wallet will love, to premium products at a higher price point. There’s something here for everyone!
Our Buyers Guide - The BEST Joint Supplement for Horses
It can seem overwhelming at first... how to decide which product to choose and which combination of ingredients your horses need to support healthy joints.
Not to worry, we've put together a complete buyers guide to bring you up to speed on what you should know and compiled a list of the BEST horse supplements, so you can rest easy and take the guess work out of your shopping today. We're here to make it simple and we've even included a few 'easy buttons' of our own to do just that! (see what we did there?) ;)
Maybe your horse is young, and ready to take on any mountain. Or maybe he's seen his fair share of sunsets, and doesn't mind taking his time. Maybe he's a performance horse, or a seasoned trail horse. Whatever the case, there's at least one thing they all have in common, they each can benefit from the healthy support that joint supplements can offer.
Horses are athletes. Like any athlete every horse should be properly nourished and supplement their diet with vitamins and minerals to perform at their best and maintain healthy joints.
It's no secret that horses, like humans, experience joint strain as they age. Joint discomfort is no fun for anyone, whether you're a human or a horse. It can decrease performance and quality of life, regardless of age or activity level. But did you know that there are joint supplements available for your pony? Just like human supplements, these provide excellent support for joints and can help to ease your horse's discomfort and improve their quality of life.
What can cause joint injury?
Joints are fascinating! They are complex structures made up of muscle, ligaments, tendons, synovial fluid, and bones. All of these elements work together to allow us to move our bodies in all kinds of ways, and the same goes for your horse. Joints are strong and durable, but they can also be susceptible to injury.
Arthritis is a common issue for horses, with studies showing that more than 60 percent of all equine lameness can be attributed to the condition. An important factor to consider is that arthritis is simply joint inflammation, which of course can cause a lot of pain and discomfort for horses. Understanding what it is, can help to better know how to treat it, so your horse can enjoy more healthy joint function
What are the signs of joint pain in horses?
Joint discomfort is no fun for anyone, whether you're a human or a horse. It can decrease performance and quality of life, regardless of age or activity level.
Often, joint pain becomes 'painfully' apparent when the horse's performance plummets. Horses can often manifest it in their behavior; their attitude may start to sour, or they might pin their ears or grind their teeth. If you notice your horse is lying down more often than usual or any of the above mentioned signs, it just may be due to joint pain and lack of joint lubrication.
Depending on the severity of the problem, if a horse is severely lame, it may be reluctant to move and may even have trouble standing up. It will walk stiffly and in circles, favoring the affected limb. The joints will feel hot and swollen when touched.
Unfortunately, as many horse owners know, by the time your horse is showing signs of joint discomfort, inflammation has already set in and the damage has been done. But there are still actions you can take to reduce the amount of damage and stop it from being an ongoing problem. With the right attention, the damage can even be reversed.
Early intervention is key for stopping the cycle and improving your horses odds of full recovery. By providing early care, you can help prevent (as mentioned) further injury and save your horse a lot of discomfort and instead support joint health!
But do you want to know what's even better than early intervention? Yes you read that right... even better! That my friends is called "Prevention" with a capital P. You've heard the saying, "an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure". Well it's especially true when it comes to your horse.
In this article, we'll take a look at some of the finest joint supplements for horses on the market today that help in preventing injury by strengthening joints and reducing common inflammation.
What to look for when choosing an equine supplement for joint health
What are Horse Joint Supplements? They are a compound of minerals and vitamins that usually contain one or more of the following ingredients: MSM, hyaluronic acid, chondroitin sulfate and glucosamine.
When it comes to choosing supplements for clicking joints in horses, you may want to look for one that has the NASC seal. The National Animal Supplement Council is a voluntary organization that works to ensure the safety and quality of animal supplements. They do this by setting guidelines for manufacturers and conducting audits of their facilities. If a company is compliant with NASC standards, they will be allowed to use the NASC seal on their products. Choosing a supplement with the NASC seal can give you peace of mind knowing that it meets certain safety and quality standards.
Equine supplements that contain glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM have been shown to be particularly effective in relieving arthritis pain and promoting mobility, lubrication, and joint and connective tissue. It's important to note though, that arthritis cannot be cured by supplementation. However research and evidence show that supplements improve range of motion, mobility and performance
Here is a list of the best ingredients (and their purpose) to look for in a joint supplement for your horse
- Glucosamine is one of the most well researched healthy joint support ingredients. Glucosamine slows down cartilage deterioration and reduces pain. Glucosamine is a key ingredient in many horse joint supplements on the market today. Its an amino sugar that is produced naturally in the body. It is a building block for cartilage and helps to keep it healthy. When cartilage breaks down, it can cause pain and stiffness in the joints. Glucosamine (and glucosamine hcl) supplements have been shown to be effective in reducing pain and improving joint function in horses. There is also some evidence that glucosamine may help to protect against further damage to cartilage. This is a powerful ingredient for joint care. There are not many natural sources of glucosamine with most being harvested from the shells of shellfish or made in a lab.
- Chondroitin is a molecule that is found in cartilage. It works with glucosamine to protect cells called chondrocytes, which help support the structure of cartilage. Chondroitin also contains sulfur called "chondroitin sulfate", which is important for the structure of cartilage. Also, chondroitin is a natural substance that can help reduce symptoms like arthritis, by destroying harmful enzymes in the joints and reducing swelling.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM) is a naturally occurring compound form of sulfur that has many benefits for horses. MSM provides sulfur to the body, which is a key component for connective tissue (like collagen), hooves, and bones. Sulfur is also necessary for the production of glutathione, an important antioxidant (like vitamin c) that helps to protect cells from damage. MSM has been shown to help reduce inflammation and pain associated with conditions such as tendonitis and joint injuries. It can also help to improve circulation and reduce swelling.
- Hyaluronic Acid is a substance that is found naturally in a horses body (and humans for that matter). It is a major component of connective tissues, such as the skin, and it plays an important role in cushioning and lubricating joints. Recent studies have shown that hyaluronic acid can help to reduce pain and inflammation, encourage bone and cartilage growth, and hydrate tissue. These effects make it an attractive treatment option for conditions such as joint degeneration.
- Boswellia Serrata is an herb that has been used in traditional medicines for centuries. The Boswellia genus is native to tropical regions of Africa, India, and the Middle East. The plant produces a resin that has anti-inflammatory properties. This resin is what gives the Boswellia herb its therapeutic benefits. The Boswellia serrata herb has been shown to be effective at decreasing inflammation and supporting joint cartilage in horses (like glucosamine). A study conducted by the University of Naples looked at the effects of Boswellia serrata on horses with arthritis. The study found that the herb was able to significantly reduce inflammation and improve joint mobility in the horses.
- Flaxseed and rice bran are two plant-based sources of omega-3 and -6 fatty acids that have been shown to increase the elasticity of connective tissue and reduce inflammation. The omega-3 content of flaxseed is higher than that of any other plant, making it an excellent source of this nutrient. Omega-3s are known for their anti-inflammatory properties, which can help to reduce swelling and pain in the body.
You'll find that different horse supplements combine these ingredients in different mixtures.
ChucksChoice - BEST Horse Joint Supplement
Nutramax Cosequin ASU
What We Like:
This Supplement contains the top 3 recommended ingredients for relieving horse joint inflammation - Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine, and MSM. Plus it also includes Ascorbic Acid and Manganese for a more potent and effective supplement.
Comes in a powder form that is easy to mix with routine feed and is also very easy on the digestive system.
Has a 93 percent 4 & 5 star rating from verified customers reviews on Amazon
What You Should Know
ASU is a compound that compliments and improves the effectiveness of glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate ingredients.
Not only is this the #1 Veterinarian Recommended joint supplement , but it also specifically formulated to protect cartilage
Available in either 1.3 pound or 3.2 pound containers. However you get slightly more for less (comparative) cost when purchasing the 3.2 pound container. The larger container will provide around 80 days worth of supplement and the smaller container around 30 days.
If you have a big budget and you are looking for highest quality product, then look no further. This is Chucks pick for the best premium joint care supplement which comes in liquid form.
Premium Option - Horse Joint Supplement
Runner Up - Horse Joint Supplement
Formula 707 Joint - 6 in 1
What We Like
Combines 6 quality ingredients into one product including Collagen, which strengthens your horses bones and improves joint mobility.
Formulated to support horses of all ages and classes
Manufactured in-house in Colorado, USA facility.
What You Should Know
This product is great if caring for multiple horses at one time, because of it's availability in 3 different sizes/weights: 5lb, 10lb, and 20lb.
Horses love the flavor, and owners like that this product comes in Pellet Form and is easy to give alone or mixed with other daily food.
Company has been in business for over 75 years.
Best Value - Horse Joint Supplement
What We Like
Formulated with the 3 top recommended ingredients for joint support
This product targets the connective tissue that helps to maintain joint mobility.
Includes Vitamin C for antioxidant and immune system support.
What You Should Know
Available in one size - 5lb bucket
For horses 800 to 1,200 pounds, it is recommended to give 2 scoops daily.
Frequently Asked Questions
Easy Answers = Easy Shopping
Best Horse Joint Supplement FAQ's
Q. Do Equine Joint Supplements really work for joint support?
A. There is a lot of anecdotal evidence that joint supplements can help horses with joint issues. Many horse owners swear by joint supplements and say that they have seen a noticeable difference in their horse's comfort level and mobility after starting them on a supplement. If you're considering trying a joint supplement, it's worth talking to your veterinary first to see if they think it could be helpful.
Q. Best joint supplement for older horses with arthritis?
A. There are a few different joint supplements that can be helpful for horses and supporting joint health generally. glucosamine, chondroitin, and MSM are all common ingredients that can help to reduce inflammation and pain. You can talk to your veterinarian about which supplement would be best for your horse.
Q. Is MSM a good joint supplement for horses?
A. Yes, MSM is one of the main ingredients in joint supplements. It's a natural anti-inflammatory that has been shown to reduce pain and swelling in the joints. One of it's active ingredients is elemental sulfur. Glucosamine and MSM is a potent mix of proven ingredients to increase joint health in horses.
Q. How do I know if my horse needs a joint supplement?
A. If your horse is showing signs of joint discomfort, such as limping or stiffness, then he may need a supplement that supports joint health. Many ingredients like glucosamine in joint supplements may help increase cartilage and also provide joint protection.
Q. Are horse joint supplements a waste of money?
A. Joint care supplements have proven ingredients to help get your horse moving again and have shown to reduce inflammation. Equine joint health is important for complete and overall animal health. Many supplements are fantastic sources of glucosamine and msm, which are two ingredients often recommended by veterinarians for the health of joints.
Q. What time of day should I give my horse a joint supplement?
A. Many people find that giving their horse a joint supplement in the morning is a good way to start the day. This way, the supplement has time to work its way into the horse's system before they start moving around and putting stress on their joints. What works for one horse may not work for another, especially in the case of older horses. So its important that you consult your horses' veterinarian.
Q. Do horse supplements reduce inflammation?
A. Yes, different supplements can help reduce inflammation. There are many types of joint supplement’s which can provide great support for your horses’ joints. However, it's important to speak with your veterinarian before giving your horse any supplements, as they can interact with your horse’s diet or other medications your horse may be taking.
Q. Is glucosamine a good antiinflammatory?
A. Glucosamine is a popular supplement that is often taken for joint discomfort. While there is some evidence that it may be helpful for inflammation, the research is not definitive. If you are considering taking glucosamine, speak with your doctor first to see if it is right for you.
Q. Are omega-3 fatty acids an important factor to consider when choosing a supplement?
A. Yes, They have been shown to have numerous health benefits, including lessoning inflammation and improving heart health.
Q. What is the Difference Between Hyaluronic Acid and Chondroitin Sulfate
A. Hyaluronic acid and chondroitin sulfate are both naturally occurring substances found in the body. They both play important roles in supporting healthy joints.
Hyaluronic acid is a type of sugar that helps to keep joints lubricated and provides cushioning. Chondroitin sulfate is a protein that helps to maintain the structure of cartilage and connective tissue.
Key Takeaways for Equine Joint Supplements
Horse joint supplements are an effective way to lower inflation, increase mobility, and create overall healthy joints. If you are looking for a supplement to improve your horse's joint health, consider one of our top 3 recommended products above!
No matter which of the top 3 Joint Supplements you choose, you’ll find one to meet your needs. We reviewed thousands of reviews and performed hours of research to make sure we gave you the best list of supplements out there.
And that’s it! Now you can feel more confidant as you shop and make a purchase decision today! It gives us great satisfaction to simplify the shopping experience and make it more enjoyable for you! Thank you for visiting our site!